Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mardi Gras Y'all

We weren't able to actually make it to Mardi Gras, but we surely have had Mardi Gras style food on our brains and in our bellies! 

Po Boys are one of our favorite southern treats. In the past we've made shrimp po boys, but this time we changed things up and added oysters. Rich was in charge of the frying and I stopped by the bakery to get fresh baguettes. We dressed our po boys with lettuce, tomato, pickles, vegan mayo, & ketchup.

Shrimp and grits are another of my favorite southern goodies. Something about it is so comforting to me. The great thing about the version I made, is that its low carb! I made the cheesy grits using almond flour, water, salt, and cheese. Yep, that simple. And, it tastes so so good. For the shrimp part, I cooked a few strips of bacon, then diced them up. 1 green pepper, half of an onion & 1 clove of garlic were sautéed in the bacon fat along w/ the shrimp. I seasoned the shrimp with some Slap Yo Mama seasoning, salt, & pepper. I topped it all off with some fresh green onion & BOOM. Time to eat! 



Hope you enjoyed your Mardi Gras!




No comments:

Post a Comment